Career Center Office Hours
Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
The Career Center is located inside the McLane’s Library.
All Work Permits are issued by appointment only and processed at a student’s school site.
All high school students must provide their employer with a valid work permit prior to beginning work. If you are unsure if you need a work permit, contact your school’s Career Center for more information and assistance with re-quired paperwork. Once a student has been offered a job, the student down-loads and prints a work permit application: B1-1, “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit” from their high school website, the District’s Career Readiness website or internet. Students must have a work permit for each place of employment. Contact your school’s Job Developer for more information and to schedule your work permit appointment.Work Permit Application
- Ms. Torres
- McLane’s Job Developer
- Located in McLane’s Library in the Career Center (L113).
- The application can also be email over to Ms. Torres at Stephanie.Torres@fresnounified.org via your student Fresno Unified School District email.
- Phone at 559-248-5142.
What are the eligibility requirements for me to apply for a work permit?
In order to apply for a work permit, students must adhere to the attendance, GPA, and citizenship guidelines:
- 5 or less days of unexcused absences or 35 individual period absences/tardies per quarter
- Quarterly cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Maintain appropriate conduct in citizenship
What if I do not meet the eligibility requirements? Can I still apply?
You can still apply, but you will receive a probationary work permit. You can still be employed and work with a probationary work permit. Your school counselor will determine if you qualify for a probationary permit or deny your application according to your records and qualifications.
How do I apply?
Students can walk into McLane High School’s Career Center (L113) in the Library and pick up the work permit application. The PDF version of the application is also accessible here.
***Please note, you must have been hired and offered a position by an employer PRIOR to applying for the work permit application***
How do I properly fill out the application?
Step by Step Procedures of filling out the application:
PAGE 2 (Form that addresses attendance, grading, and citizenship standards)
- Be sure to include your first and last name as well as school ID# at the top of the page
- Both student and parent must sign and date indicating they understand the attendance, grading, and citizenship standards required to obtain and maintain a work permit.
- The bottom portion of the page labeled <For Office Use Only> is to be filled out by your school counselor. Be sure to provide them this page for counselor approval/denial of work permit.
PAGE 3 (Form B1-1)
- Minor’s information is to be filled out. All sections must be filled, including students full 9-digit SSN.
- School information is to include McLane High School’s name, address, and phone number.
- Parent or legal guardian must print, sign, and date indicating they give full consent of their minor working and that the information provided is correct.
- Employer section is to be filled out by your hiring manager and/or supervisor. In this section, they will need to let us know:
- The exact location of where you are hired to work (Name of business, address, phone number)
- The expected number of hours student will work per day and per week
- Describe the nature of work to be performed. What type of work you will be doing there?
- The hiring manager and/or supervisors name, signature, and date. (Wet signatures only)
- Disregard the bottom boxed portion labeled For authorized work permit issuer use ONLY.
What’s next after the application has been filled out?
Once the application is completely filled out, students can give it to McLane’s Job Developer, Ms. Torres, in the Career Center (L113). The application can also be email over to Ms. Torres at Stephanie.Torres@fresnounified.org via your student Fresno Unified School District email.
***Once work permit application is received via email from students, the Job Developer has two business days to process work permit applications into official work permits. ***
Will my work permit work for different employers?
No. Each work permit is valid only at the location that was provided on the application. If student is no longer interested in working at the location specified on the work permit, the student will need to inform the schools Job Developer to cancel the current permit and apply for a new permit if student has been hired elsewhere.
Who can I contact for more information?
You can contact McLane’s Job Developer, Ms. Torres, via email at email@example.com or reach her via phone at 559-248-5142.